Posted by: alqamardesigns | April 5, 2008

McDonalds, Chuck E Cheese, Discovery Zone… All places with ball pits in the childrens play area.

I recieved the following email, please forward on to those you know who have kids, grandkids, nieces, nephews, etc.

One of my sons lost his watch, and was very upset..

We dug and dug in those balls, trying to find his watch. Instead, we found vomit, food, feces, and other stuff I do not want to discuss.

I went to the manager and raised hell. Come to find out, the ball pit is only cleaned out once a month. I have doubts that it is even done that often. My kids will never play in another ball pit.

Some of you might not be parents, but you may have nieces, nephews, grandchildren, or friends with children. This will pertain to you too. As I read the following, my heart sank. I urge each and every one of you to pass this on to as many people as you can. I cannot stress how import ant this is!

Hi. My name is Lauren Archer, my son Kevin and I lived in Midland, TN.

On October 2nd, 1999 I took my only son to McDonald’s for his 3rd birthday.

After he finished lunch, I allowed him to play in the ball pit. When he started whining later on, I asked him what was wrong, he pointed to the back of his pull-up and simply said ‘Mommy, it hurts.’ I couldn’t find anything wrong with him at that time. I bathed him when we got home, and it was at that point when I found a welt on his left buttock.

Upon investigating, it seemed as if there was something like a splinter under the welt. I made an appointment to see the doctor the next day, but soon he started vomiting and shaking, then his eyes rolled back into his head. From there, we went to the emergency room. He died later that night. It turned out that the welt on his buttock was the tip of a hypodermic needle t hat had broken off inside.

The autopsy revealed that Kevin had died from a heroine overdose. The next week, the police removed the balls from the ball pit. There was rotten food, several hypodermic needles: some full, some used; knives, half-eaten candy, diapers, feces, and and the stench of urine.

(You can find the article on Kevin Archer in the October 10, 1999 issue of the Midland Chronicle.)

Please forward on to those you know who have kids, grandkids, nieces, nephews, etc and beware of children play areas.


  1. My son isn’t allowed in those things either…it’s disgusting to think about all that is in there..pee, vomit…you name it.
    I did want to let you know that the snake story isn’t true though…
    Here is another false statement about the ballpits…

    So, while those horrible stories aren’t true…you are so right about those things still being totally nasty!! Good for you for talking to the manager…it’s sad that not much will be done about it though…

  2. SubhaanAllaah this is really a scary thing. Allaahul Musta’aan. May Allaah protect our Children from the likes of such harms

  3. Hey Gabriele.. thanks for the information abt the snakes..(opps I should have stated the post above was not by me, it was a forwarded email)

    ameen br Aboo Redundant

  4. hi i am a first time mom so i am so happy to heard this story because i never like kids playing in the ball pit anyway. The fast food restaurants hardly like cleaning so why do mothers think its safe to put their kids in the ball pit “I HATE THE BALL PIT” i always tell my nieces NO anyway, but i am so sorry for the little boys.

  5. That is terrible!!! Ian so sorry that is so terrible to lose a three year old to something so tragic like that I can’t believe ball pits are still popular even after so many tragic events like that. Ball pit shoul be cleaned AT LEAST once a week.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s


%d bloggers like this: